Perennial flower beds: planting schemes and ideas
Each owner tries to decorate the area near his house with bright flower beds. And of course, everyone wants these blooming compositions to delight with their appearance and aroma throughout the warm season. In this case, handmade perennial flower beds are the most profitable and rational solution: in such flower beds, you do not need to plant or sow plants every year, and the flower bed itself will bloom continuously from spring to late autumn.
The best perennials
To make a beautiful flower bed of perennial flowers with your own hands, you need to be very careful about the choice of plants. It is important not only to take into account the timing of flowering, but also such characteristics as size, height of flowers, requirements for soil and illumination, their combination with other decorative and garden elements. As you know, any blooming composition consists of several types of plants, and the general appearance and splendor of not only the flower garden itself, but also the entire landscape depends on how correctly they are selected and located on the flower bed.
The most popular and unpretentious perennials are:
- from undersized species: crocuses, snowdrops, primroses, hyacinths, carnations;
- of biennial species: daisies, forget-me-nots, pansies;
- from flowers of medium height: daylilies, phloxes, irises, peonies, tulips, daisies and bells;
- tall flowers: garden lilies, roses, lupine, delphinium, aconite, decorative blooming sunflowers;
- you can fill the space between flowers with undersized or ground cover species: muscari, thyme, undersized asters, salvia, stonecrop, periwinkle.
When creating flower beds with your own hands in the country, you can use not only garden flowers, but also medicinal plants, which will then replenish your home medicine cabinet. Echinacea, calendula, sage, lavender are the most lush and aromatic medicinal species.
Also, do not forget about evergreen ornamental deciduous shrubs and conifers. After all, in winter they will form the basis of the composition. And in the summer, you can dilute the flowers with contrasting greens with the help of ferns.
Video "Tips for Gardeners"
Demonstration video with examples for gardeners to care and create a flower bed.
Flower bed for beginners
For gardeners who do not have experience in arranging flower beds with their own hands, it may seem that creating a flower bed from perennials is a laborious and difficult task. In fact, everyone can make a bright composition of perennial flowers in the country, given the following tips:
- any flowering flower bed begins with drawing up a diagram in which the location of the plants is precisely indicated - in the future, the diagram will help not to get confused during planting;
- when drawing up a diagram, it must be borne in mind that at least 3 species should bloom at one time, and make a selection of plants by flowering time;
- the scheme should also take into account the selection of plants according to the color palette;
- when creating a flower garden with your own hands for the first time, you should give preference to unpretentious species that do not require complex care;
- blooming compositions look more spectacular when plants are planted in small groups, and visually create a bright spot - this is also taken into account when drawing up a diagram;
- you should not overload the composition with a large number of flowers and plant them tightly to each other, since they grow over time - the scheme should take this into account;
- so that flower beds with perennials are always blooming and beautiful, you need to select for planting only those plants that are suitable for this soil.
But the most important thing in creating a flower garden scheme is to correctly calculate the number of plants, taking into account the dimensions of the flowers and the size of the flower bed itself. So from tall species (1-2 m) in one composition there should be 2-5 plants, medium-tall (50-90 cm) - 5-10 plants, low-growing (20-40 cm) - 8-12 pieces, ground cover - 12- 18 pieces, bulbous - 15-25. This scheme allows you to form harmonious blooming compositions.
Continuous flowering flower bed
A flower bed blooming all four seasons is the dream of every summer cottage owner. And in order to turn it into reality, and to make such a flower garden with your own hands, you just need to make the right combination, taking into account the flowering period of each perennial. The main condition for composing a continuous flowering composition is the presence of at least one flowering group. To make such a flower garden, you need to know the flowering time of certain plants:
- in early spring (March) snowdrops, crocuses, blueberries, hyacinths bloom;
- in April - lungwort, daisies, primroses, pansies, muscari, early tulips and daffodils;
- May and June are the most blooming months, May is the bloom of lilies of the valley, tulips, daffodils, forget-me-nots;
- in June, peonies, daisies, bluebells, poppies, daylilies, delphinium, lupine, petunias and many other flowers bloom;
- in July - late lilies, phloxes, nasturtiums, dahlias, astilbe, roses;
- in August - phlox, roses, astilbe, some lilies, dahlias, and also rudbeckia, gladioli, summer chrysanthemums begin to bloom;
- in September - marigolds, asters, dahlias, late chrysanthemums, and also tea roses bloom for the second time;
- in October, only late dahlias, some varieties of roses and chrysanthemums bloom.
So that in winter the flowerbed does not seem empty, evergreen coniferous and decorative deciduous crops should be added to the composition: undersized juniper, boxwood, spherical holly.
Any blooming composition should begin with building a scheme, since it is the scheme that allows you to avoid mistakes in the process of creating a flower garden in your country house with your own hands. When developing a scheme, it should be remembered that flowering flower beds are of two types: regular and irregular. For giving, of course, irregular (mixborders) are more suitable, where there are no specific rules for planting flowers and everything depends only on imagination. However, flower beds of the correct shape in the country are quite common.
The scheme should include absolutely all flowering and decorative elements. In order to arrange the plants in the flowerbed according to the scheme, it is important to know from which side it will be viewed:
- the scheme of a square flower garden, viewed from all sides, as a rule, provides for several tiers of plants, of which the highest are planted in the center, and from them lower rows are located to the edge;
- the scheme of a rectangular flower bed should take into account the location of the flower garden on the site: if this is the front part, then it is better to plant the same type of flowers in rows, if the flower garden is located near the fence, walls, then the scheme is different - the plants are located from high to lower;
- a round flowering flower bed can be planted both in regular rows and in bright spots - examples of the ideal scheme of a round composition: the center is filled with bright large flowers (tulips, roses) along the edge - undersized flowers (daffodils, asters, salvias), and between them muscari or thyme ...
Often, novice gardeners, when drawing up a scheme, do not take into account the color scheme, but meanwhile, the scheme of a flower bed for a summer residence must take this moment into account. This is very important when creating mixborders with your own hands, where the blooming composition is planted chaotically, and if the palette is not followed, it turns out to be too variegated. A flowering composition for a summer residence can also consist of plants of the same species, and a diagram is not required in this case. The flower garden looks luxurious, filled, for example, with roses or tulips of different varieties and shades.
Flower bed care
As a rule, perennials are not very whimsical, however, in order for a blooming composition to serve as a decoration for a summer residence all season, you need to make some efforts:
- systematically loosen the soil and remove weeds - it is better to carry out this procedure in the evening or early in the morning;
- constantly monitor the state of flowers and eliminate faded inflorescences in time;
- flowering perennials need regular feeding with special mineral mixtures during the period of budding and flowering;
- watering is carried out as needed, while it is important to ensure that water does not fall on flowering sockets;
- if there are open areas in the flower bed, mulching can be done - this procedure will prevent the soil from drying out and weeds growth.
In late autumn, all perennials, except for evergreen shrubs, need to be cut off, and some thermophilic varieties should be covered for the winter. When performing these simple activities, a fragrant, abundantly blooming flower bed in the country, made by hand, will delight you for many years.
Video "A selection of beautiful options for flower beds"
Video selection with beautiful options for flower beds for summer cottages.
We make beautiful flower beds of perennials in the country with our own hands
- Features of the
- How to do it?
- Materials (edit)
- A place
- Dimensions (edit)
- The form
- Flower bed design
- Required tools
- Professional advice
- Contemporary examples and variants
Initially, flower beds were created not for aesthetic pleasure, but for medicine. In pharmacies and hospitals, flower beds with medicinal plants and vegetables were grown. And only in the 50s of the XX century carpet beds became fashionable, which required a lot of effort to maintain their own beauty.
Today, beautiful flower beds are made out not only from annual plants, but also from perennials. How to grow such a flower bed with your own hands so that it will delight you with its beauty for more than one year?
What to plant - a bunch of onions or perennial flowers?
Not everything in the garden should be for the belly, it is necessary to leave room for "beauty" - just for the soul. A flower bed of continuous flowering of perennials is easy to decorate even the most ordinary-looking area, giving it a unique charm. Roses, geraniums, carnations, poppies and asters will grow season after season in the same place without requiring special attention.
A question that every novice gardener should understand is the choice of plants for a perennial flower garden. From practical experience, the first flower bed should be made small and planted with unpretentious flowers that grow well under the bright sun.
A flower bed is a bright element of the garden, so there is no point in breaking it in the far corner of the site or hiding it under the shade of trees. The best solution for creating a perennial flower bed will be a place that is clearly visible from all sides.
It is customary to place multi-level flower beds (with tall exhibits in the background and low ones in the foreground) near the walls of a house, fence or hedge. Whereas in the center of the site, a constantly blooming flower bed of perennials can both form all kinds of combinations of plants, and be decorated with only one species.
Beds of perennials in the garden and in the country
Flower beds are decorated with flowering annuals and perennials of different heights. If the flower bed is visible from all sides, then higher flowers are planted in the center, further - lower plants. If the flower garden is located along a wall or fence and is visible from one side, tall plants are placed in the background. Also, sometimes they make a slight slope of the soil from the fence.
Annual blooming flowers for a flower bed:
One of the simple but effective options is a round flower bed. Inside a large circle, a small one is drawn, in which taller flowers or a beautiful shrub are planted, and then several more plant species are planted in concentric circles.
Planting with perennials: photo examples
- Choose a place. The location of the flower garden affects the duration of flowering. Choose places for planting with sunlight for at least 3 hours a day.
- Avoid waterlogging. Almost all perennial flowers and plants for flower beds do not tolerate lowlands and waterlogged soils.
- Consider the features. The design of the flower bed will be successful if the plants were selected taking into account the flowering time, height of growth, and the volume of green mass.
Having an idea of the characteristics of plants, you can make a beautiful flower bed that will delight you for many years.
Color combinations in a perennial flower bed
The colorful and bright flowerbed attracts the eyes, gives a good mood even on cloudy days. When choosing perennials, it is important to take into account that the flowers of forest anemones, variegated milkweed, and Achilles are white. Autumn helenium, yellow hemerocallis, Canadian solidago will help to create a sunny orange composition. New Belgian aster, a beautiful small petal, Chilean gravilat, will allow you to add red accents. Purple accords will add horny aconite, Siberian iris.
The following tips will help beginners not to be mistaken in the selection of shades for a flower bed in the country:
- the combination of white and blue shades is fresh in spring; for such a flower bed, white tulips and blue bells, chamomile with delphiniums should be planted
- to create a "flaming" flower garden, red flowers are planted in the center, which surround orange flowers, giving way to yellow flowers at the edges
- pale pink, lilac and scarlet shades of flowers create a romantic mood, this will help the combination of lilac phlox with irises and cream roses.
Examples of harmonious flower beds
In conclusion, I would like to give a few more examples of flower beds for summer cottages of various levels of complexity.
The scheme of the simplest flower bed for teapots will decorate the dacha with a warm palette of pink, orange and red flowers, diluted with a purple tone. Arboreal heliotrope is planted in the background (1). Terry marigolds and Sander's tobacco form the middle tier (in the diagram, they are marked with numbers 3 and 2, respectively). The parterre of the flower garden is occupied by a stunted New Guinea balsam at number 4.
For an extensive mixborder flower garden you will need:
- Giant Pleniflora mallow.
- Ten-petal sunflower.
- Icelandic poppy.
- St. John's wort
- Lobelia cardinal.
- Fassen's Catman.
- Catananche "Blue Cupid"
- Sedum Matron.
- Heichera Miracle.
The scheme of a flower garden, resembling a piece of cake in shape, must be prepared:
- The corner of the flower bed is filled with a daylily in the amount of 3 bushes.
- Under the number 2 are silvery wormwood leaves, 2 copies on each side.
- A dark red korostavnik is planted in the center, 6 pieces are enough.
- The edges of the flower garden are decorated with 3 heuchera bushes with burgundy leaves.
- On the front of the flower bed, there are 5 specimens of silvery leaves of the chisel.
The absence of a reservoir in the country can partially replace a flower bed, the scheme of which contains flowers of blue and blue shades. The stream bed is imitated by large blue colored pebbles. Glass balls will add transparency and dynamism. The flower garden is decorated with the following plantings:
- Bamboo leaf grate.
- Iris bearded.
- Creeping tenacious.
- Aubriet hybrid.
- Bruner large-leaved.
- The bryozoan is styloid.
- Creeping tenacious.
The proposed schemes are not an immutable postulate. Starting from them, in the country you can create your own unique flower garden, pleasing to the eye throughout the warm season.