A selection of options for original flower beds from scrap materials
Original decorated flower beds always look interesting. Wanting to decorate their site with flower arrangements, many gardeners equip flower beds using ready-made fences and containers for plants. But in order to create an unusual element of landscape design, you can do with minimal costs, showing a little imagination for arranging a flower bed from improvised materials. Such unusual designs will become the highlight of the suburban area.
Installation of decorative fences allows you to solve several problems:
- with the help of flower beds and enclosing structures, it is easy to visually divide the territory into functional zones;
- flower beds, decorated in the same style, make the site look more neat and presentable;
- the sides of the tanks and the enclosing structures prevent the spread of plants over the territory;
- fences perform a protective function, protecting fragile plants from the encroachments of domestic animals.
Old things that have long served their time, but carefully stored in a pantry or garage, can get a second life, becoming an original functional element of landscape design.
Fences and flower beds allow you to give the territory a complete and more harmonious look
Original flower beds from waste material
Reviewing our stocks of necessary things, we find a set of old rubber.
Flowerbeds made of tires, decorated with figured incised edges and painted in an interesting color combination, despite the simplicity of manufacture, in finished form, look very impressive
When decorating a flower garden, you can take ready-made options for arranging a flower bed using an old tire, but it is much more interesting to come up with unusual design elements yourself.
Old kitchen utensils can also act as an unusual flower bed: an obsolete teapot, a smoked pot, a leaky saucepan
To transform an old teapot into a miniature flower bed for primroses, it is enough to paint the product in a suitable color and glue it with multi-colored pebbles using hot melt glue. The combination of an applique made of stones with the decoupage technique looks harmonious
You can also create original flower beds with your own hands from old shoes and boots. In every family there are several pairs of old shoes that no one has worn for a long time, but they do not raise their hand to throw it away.
A place for makeshift flower pots, transformed by skillful hands from old leaky rubber boots, can be found in any corner of the site
Funny flower pots attached to the fence, steps or porch will enliven the interior and give a great mood to both hosts and guests. The main advantage of such a mini-bed made of old shoes is mobility: it is easy to move it around the site, thereby enlivening the most dull corners of the garden.
It is difficult to walk without smiling past such a shoe or shoe, which is decorated with a shock of fresh greenery, dotted with miniature variegated flowers
To turn an old shoe into a garden container, just poke holes in the product in several places just above the sole with a knife. Slots are essential to ensure adequate drainage. For the same purpose, you can use gravel, clay fragments, wood chips, which fill the lower part of the boot. The remaining inner space of the product is tightly filled with potting soil. You can also find some useful tips in this video:
For planting in such improvised containers are perfect: petunias, geraniums, pansies, fuchsias and other unpretentious flowering plants.
Garden containers from old furniture
Creating flower beds from scrap materials is a fun process that allows you to turn any old thing that has long become trash into an object of art.
An old chair can become not only an unusual design element, but also a functional design for a small flowering flower bed.
A flower arrangement for decorating such a flower bed can be made from both low-growing flowers and tall perennials. It will be convenient to place a mobile flower bed in any area of the site, and if you wish to change the interior, it can be moved to any corner of the garden. To make the structure more stable, it is advisable to tie the chair to the reinforcement inserted into the ground or partially dig it into the ground.
If you wish, you can even attach an old grandmother's bed, transforming it into a base for a chic flower garden.
To arrange a flower bed, a metal bed must be painted in the desired color and dug into the ground so that the legs are completely submerged into the ground, and only the side backs remain on the surface
You can fill the flower bed with both flowering and decorative leafy ground cover plants. Closer to the headboards, it is advisable to plant curly flowers, the stems of which will braid a metal support, giving the flower bed a special picturesqueness.
A wooden bedside table that has darkened from time to time can also find use in the skillful hands of a creative owner. To create an original planter, both the tabletop of the product itself and the side drawers are used
Before filling the containers with a layer of earth, it is advisable to cover them with spunbond or polyethylene, securing the material with a construction stapler.
Processing the wooden surface of the product with special protective compounds will significantly extend the life of the structure.
Unusual use of old vehicles
To make the old bike more decorative, it is advisable to paint it with spray paint, and then attach a couple of wicker baskets to it.
An original mobile flower garden can be made using an old bicycle. This arrangement of the flower bed allows you to significantly save space on the site for planting other plants.
Flower containers can be installed on the front wheel, frame or rear rack, turning a regular bike into a real installation of flower arrangements
When painting, you can fix the bike in an upright position using a metal pin driven into the ground.
An old boat, dinghy or kayak, which used to plow the expanses of water, and now settled on an emerald lawn and fragrant with flowers, will become a bright accent in the design of any suburban area.
It is easy to turn a disused boat into an improvised planter by filling it with a layer of soil and planting miniature bushes dotted with variegated flowers
Boats decorated with many pots with flowering plants look no less interesting.
The option of decorating a flower garden with potted crops allows you to change the composition of plants depending on the mood and season.
A flower bed in an old boat on an area bordering a reservoir looks harmonious; then the flower arrangement combines two elements - the flora of the garden and water.
Even old cars can find new life in the hands of a craftsman.
To arrange a flower garden from the car, it is necessary to remove the engine and all things from the trunk, then fill it with a layer of soil in such a way that at least 20 cm remains to the brim. For planting in a flower garden, climbing plants, quickly braiding the surface, and ground covers, creating a continuous flowering carpet, are better.
When decorating a flower bed, both smooth transitions from one tone to another and contrasting color combinations look interesting
For arranging flower beds, you can use any available materials that are in harmony with the flowers growing on the site. The only condition is to correctly select the ratio of elements so that the created flower bed becomes a stylish frame for a beautiful well-groomed flower garden.
Rate the article:
(2 votes, average: 5 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
We create vertical flower beds with our own hands!
It is difficult to walk past a vertical flower bed without noticing it: it immediately falls into the field of visibility and catches the eye. This is not the case with traditional "ground" flower beds - they can be examined in detail only by going closer. Tall flower beds have several other advantages, for example, the variety of species and the fact that they can be made from the most common materials and old things that are no longer needed in the household.
- Types of vertical beds
- Benefits of vertical flower beds
- How to make a vertical flower bed yourself
- From plastic bottles
- From boxes
- From metal mesh and garden film
- From the pallet
- What else to make a vertical flower bed
- What flowers to use in vertical gardening
- Strawberries in vertical beds
- Tips for creating vertical strawberry beds
Do-it-yourself flower beds and flower beds from scrap materials: photo and general classification
Within the framework of the general classification, flower beds and flower beds of the following types are distinguished:
- a traditional flower bed - looks like an ordinary garden bed, which is dotted with flowers that replace each other throughout the summer season. Due to the different flowering times of the flower bed, the entire warm season pleases the eye with flowering plants
A flower garden in front of the entrance to the house, arranged in concrete vases of different sizes
- chameleon - created on the basis of the same principle as a traditional flower bed, but at the same time the plants contrast with each other: one shade of flowers is abruptly replaced by another
- irregular flower garden - plants are grouped in a specific sequence. During the summer cottage period, there is a uniform and natural flowering change.
- regular flower garden - the flowering of plants begins at the same time, while the filling of the flower bed differs in variety and size
Wooden pergola and rose garden form a single composition
- carpet flower garden - a high-quality result requires patience and careful selection of the composition's components. The end result is a kind of floral carpet that spreads across the ground in unique living patterns.
An ordinary basket was used as a planter for a container with flowers.
Additional ideas for flower beds and flower beds with your own hands near the house
The list of the main varieties of flower beds and flower beds can be supplemented with several more options. These compositions are considered the most popular among summer residents and gardeners:
- monoclumba consists of flowers of one type or one color, which are planted together
- vertical flower bed - used to decorate vertical objects. For example, garden structures (gazebos, awnings, arches), screens, walls and partitions
- circular - a composition framing certain objects (statues, fountains, bushes, trees)
A vertical flower bed of colorful pots decorates a wooden hedge
- alpine slide - a flower bed dotted with small perennial flowers. Their disembarkation is carried out on top of small hills, which form a hill. Driftwood and stones can be used as a basis for planting plants.
- curb - used as a framing for playgrounds, lawns and paths on the territory of a suburban area
Flower garden of roses in the courtyard of a private house
- a flowerpot is a specific flower bed that allows you to perform landscaping in those areas of the local area where it is not possible to arrange a flower garden in a standard way. These areas include alleys, squares, courtyards and other areas with asphalt or other similar surfaces. The flowerpot looks like a wide container with earth, where plants are planted
- multidimensional composition - additional objects are used to create this voluminous flower garden. A multidimensional flower bed is characterized by special concepts that guide the landscape designer when planting plants.
An example of a flower bed in wooden barrels
Unusual flower beds
If you want to create an amazing flower bed without incurring significant financial costs, you should heed the following tips. On the farm, an old wheelbarrow is often uselessly idle or a children's car is gathering dust in the barn. Such products can be used as original containers for planting flowering crops.
The design of flower beds made of old worn-out rubber boots, an umbrella or an out-of-fashion metal bed will delight you with its unique design. An ordinary umbrella can be opened halfway and dug in this half-open form into the ground, and then pour soil into the middle and plant flowers.
A log can uselessly gather dust in the yard, which can also be turned into an original flowerpot. Even such an unusual "transformation" will not be accompanied by special difficulties. On the upper part, a recess is made, at the bottom of which a drainage layer is laid, and fertile soil is poured on top. It is better to plant low-growing flowering plants in the resulting original flowerpot.
Hole buckets can be used as a suitable material for forming portable flowerpots. It will no longer be possible to use them on the farm, as water will seep. But if you pour soil into them, plant flowers, and decorate them with acrylic paints on top, then they will definitely be guaranteed a successful second "life".
The area with the pool can be decorated with a flower bed made of bottles. It is enough to lay them upside down, forming a fence for flowering crops. You can use not only plastic but also glass bottles.
It will be possible to enhance the overall aesthetics of the pool with floating flower beds. Only in this case it is important to choose the right material for their manufacture. It must be light. Styrofoam can be considered as a suitable option. Suitable figures are cut out of it, grooves are made inside, into which a fertile layer is poured.
If you want to organize floating flower beds, but there is no pool or pond on the site, you do not need to give up your dream. You can install an old bathtub, pour water into it, and then place a floating flower bed in an artificially created small reservoir.
You can design a flowerbed in an original way, even without using improvised means. To do this, it will be enough to pick up flowers that have some similar characteristics (the same stem height, flowering period).
By planting plants of various colors, you can create on the site a luxurious imitation of a fluttering butterfly, a flowing flower stream. Any gardener can create unique and delightful flower gardens even with no experience.
Using the recommendations of experienced designers, you can create a unique flower garden design with your own hands, make it in the country from improvised means, as in the photo.